Monday, November 13, 2006

A time to give thanks...

This past weekend, I attended my 5-year college reunion. I met up with some friends that I haven't spoken with in over three years. I know, that isn't a long time to some, but when you consider that those people were a part of every minute of my life for four years, three years is a long time. The weekend was nice, I enjoyed being back on campus and seeing my friends. I also got to spend the weekend with my mom and my sister so that made it extra special. But, (and you know there is always a but) it just wasn't the same. I looked around at all the "young-ins" and I remember all the fun we had. I remember decorating the halls for Halloween, dressing up for dorm trick or treat, decorating for Christmas, Christmas break and then coming back after break to all your friends. It was like coming "home." Those were four fantastic years that I do not regret for a minute. Four years I am very thankful for. But then I look at what I got from those years. I received a great education...a Christian education. I met friends who will be with me for the rest of my life. I met my best friend in the world who has been with me through my best and worst days. She knows that I am a weirdo and she is ok with that. She has supported me through more than I can (comfortably) mention and she has opened her home to me more times than I can count. I think she knows but just in case, she is like family....actually, she is my extended family and I am blessed to have her and her family in my life on a daily basis.

Not only did I meet my best friend through college she introduced me (and coerced me) into meeting, dating, and then marrying my best, best, best friend, my husband. Had I not moved to Birmingham after graduation, who knows what the future would have held. But, because I took that chance, my life was forever changed for the better because I met the one person who loves me like no other.

Most importantly, I am thankful for my family. They loved me enough to realize that it was best for me to move away from home. Whether that meant Tennessee, Arkansas, or Alabama, they knew that I needed to be on my own. Many families would not have understood that but mine did and I owe them so much for that.

I am not trying to get all sappy on you but I have realized that after this weekend, you should be thankful for what you have in the moment. When that moment passes, you can't go back and change it. It is gone and even though the memory is still there, the memory is only a memory and even that will fade over time. I am so blessed to have wonderful family and friends and so to all of them, I hope you know how much you mean to me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, you have realized something that is so important and that many do not realize until it is too late--that way leads unto way and that what we do today can have a tremendous impact on what will happen to us tomorrow. I'm so glad that your years at Freed led you to so many blessings particularly in the form of friends, and especially to Ben. My time at FHU also led me to your Dad, and I feel so blessed to have him and for all that has come from our marriage.

Kim said...

Not to get all sappy in return, but I want you to know how thankful I am for you too! Every day! I didn't go to Freed looking for a husband (because I had already found one) but I did make the best friend I've ever had in my life and I have no doubt our friendship will last a lifetime! And I'm so glad you opened up to the idea of dating Ben! You two are so different in so many ways, yet you continue to amaze me in the way your differences work together and compliment each other. Anyway, enough sappy stuff. Love ya!

Kim said...

Not to get all sappy in return, but I want you to know how thankful I am for you too! Every day! I didn't go to Freed looking for a husband (because I had already found one) but I did make the best friend I've ever had in my life and I have no doubt our friendship will last a lifetime! And I'm so glad you opened up to the idea of dating Ben! You two are so different in so many ways, yet you continue to amaze me in the way your differences work together and compliment each other. Anyway, enough sappy stuff. Love ya!

Kim said...

I don't know why that posted twice...oops.

Paul said...

But are you thankful for me?

Meredith said...

A. Update & B I was wondering who has done the wonderful photography for you and your husband the last two year?