Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Belated Mother's Day




Everyone else posted about Mother's Day and I didn't want to be left out. I am not a mother so it wasn't quite the same as it was for everyone else but I do have a WONDERFUL mother who deserves mentioning for sure.

I can never remember a time when I didn't know that my brother, sister and I were loved. We had everything we needed and more. My mom is a very hard worker and if something needs to be done, she makes it happen. (of course, I give her a hard time for her inability to say no but that is something else!)She is the person who holds our family together. Anytime there has been an illness in our family, my mom has made sure everything was taken care of. Even when my dad had an aneurysm my sophomore year of high school, I only saw her cry once. Not that she didn't cry, but she took care of us kids and her strength showed us that everything would be ok. This last summer, she was sick and it made me realize what she does for our family.

My mom has has taught me so much. I know that my insane love of everything Christmas comes from her. She also taught me to be "the cook I am today." (Ha Ha!) I say that because not only did she teach me how to cook, she taught me how much fun it is to cook for others. I love to have people over and from my mom, I learned it is always better to have too much food as not enough (the girls that came to girls night in can vouch for that). My mom also taught me to value my friendships. Anytime I have had an issue with a friend and I was ready to give up, my mom always told me that one of the worst things to lose in life is a friend. I have listened to her and when I do, it always turns out for the better.

I didn't get to spend mother's day with my mom this year but I was thinking about her not only on Sunday but all weekend. I spoke with my mom last week and we were laughing about how when she reads my blog, she says that she can hear the tone and inflection in my voice. It was funny to me because I know that I often come across much differently than I intend. But with my mom, she gets me and she understand exactly where I am coming from and what I mean. I love her very much and I hope she knows that. Happy Mother's Day, Mama!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the praise, Sweetheart. I was sorry you and Joey weren't able to be home, but was so glad Meredith was here. I'm proud to be your mother.

Anonymous said...

rad

mary said...

Rachel I am glad you are feeling better and got to go on your trip. When you made the comment about your mom holding the family together i can relate to that. You know when my mom passed it seems that my family has just lost it, it is amazing to me that if we had problems that i just didn't see it or my mom just kept things to herself. I want you to treat every day like it is your last day with your mom love her to no ends which I can see that you do. I would give anything to be able to put my arms around my mom one more time. I will be able to do that one day. Mary